Sunday, January 7, 2024

Savings pennies at a time: Kitchen


As the old adage goes those who look for money find them!

Intro: Although we don't have physical pennies in our hands, saving pennies matters when you are striving you accumulate wealth or savings. 

Kitchen

Katy's vision:
 
I buy sponges from 2 different stores for very different reasons:

Store #1:Dollar store:

Value: You can get a pack of 10 sponges for  $1.25 to 1.50.

Katy's Trick:
This is not for everyone (some may finds them too small and fiddly lol) but if you are able to pull off using a smaller sponge for your dishes and you have a smaller household then why not?

Method: I cut these in half so that you are able to get double the amount for the same price. So that means you are essentially getting 20 half size sponges for $1.25, over time you are saving and its cumulative. 

Reason: I use these for everyday dishwashing for plates, cutlery and mugs.

Store #2 Any brand name store Safeway, Walmart, Save on Foods, Save on, Thrifty (or similar in your area)

Value: You can buy a multi package of 6 sponges approximately, for usually $5.00 so that works out to about $1.50 each sponge. Of course there are different types of sponges (some have the scrubber attached, others are solo and some are non-scratch); I choose the scotch Brite or Vilida sponges (scratch resistant or regular) Alternatively, i also revert to the name brand store's sponges brand. Thus, for example Save on Foods would be Best Western; Walmart brand would be Best Value and so on.

Katy's Trick:
I usually select the heavy duty sponge, as I am looking to save on some elbow grease. I choose brand name sponges such as Scotch Brite or other similar brands and then I am able to actually cut the sponges into even more pieces. Perhaps I do go overboard but I cut them down to 4 pieces vertically.

Reason: I use these sponges for more delicate glasses (non-scratch sponge), or pots and pans that need a good scrubbing, with experience I found the brand name ones do perform a bit better. 

Method: I still cut them in half sometimes, but because they are for a bigger job I keep them whole so I can get a better clean and can save time that way

Advantages of dollar store sponge:
#1 you get 4 times as much usage out of the same money.
#2 you change your sponge more often to have a clean smelling sink without the guilty feeling of throwing away money.

Advantages of name brand sponges:
#1 you don't have to scrub as much
#2 They save you time in handwashing.

Happy New Year everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Baby Isle & News

Big news  I've mentioned in one of my posts that I had some news! Do forgive me that its taken a bit to reveal that I had a Beautiful Ba...